We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions:


What are the arrangements for COVID19?

Government restrictions on the use of community spaces were lifted in April 2022. However, we ask hirers to please continue to consider the health of others by continuing with COVID19 precautions, such as washing hands regularly; wearing a face mask; and maintaining social distancing. We thoroughly clean the hall between hires, and have hand gel available for use at the entrance. We have undertaken a COVID19 risk assessment for bookings, which we can share with you on request when we send the booking terms and conditions and booking form. Please consider your own COVID19 risk assessment for your hire.


How many people does the hall hold?

The Village Hall has a capacity of ~60 people seated (around tables), 80 people seated (in rows) and 100 people (standing).

There is a maximum of 100 people allowed on site at any one time. We also have space outside the front of the hall, with a fenced area for e.g. children to play in / a bouncy castle etc. 


What are the start and end times of the hire periods?

You can hire for any time of the day. However, the hall needs to be vacated by midnight at the latest.


How much does it cost to hire the hall?

Please see our Booking & Rates page.


Is the hall available on 'x' date?

Please see our hall availability on our Calendar page here.


How do I book the hall for an event?

Please see our Booking & Rates page for details of how to book.


What are the Terms and Conditions?

The Terms and Conditions of Hire will be sent to you when you make an enquiry about booking. It is a pre-requisite of any booking that these Terms and Conditions are formally agreed upon.


What time do I need to vacate the hall at night?

Because we have neighbours immediately adjacent to the Hall we expect functions to finish and the hall to be vacated by midnight and guests and cars to leave quietly shortly afterwards.


Is it possible to cook / serve hot food?

The kitchen in the hall includes an an electric cooker with hob and oven, and a microwave oven. We also have a dishwasher and fridges, including a drinks chiller cabinet. Note that you will need a Temporary Event Notice from Shropshire Council if you wish to serve hot food and drink between 11pm and midnight.


Can I hire a band or DJ for my event?

Yes, but you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice from Shropshire Council. We ask that you consider noise levels as we have residents who live nearby. 


Can I serve alcoholic drinks?

We do not have a license to sell alcohol, so if you wish to to sell alcohol from a paid bar, or are a private club and want to serve alcohol to your members, you'll need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice from Shropshire Council. There are local pubs that we can put you in contact with who may run a bar for you (but you still need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice). However, if you intend to supply alcoholic drinks free-of-charge, or attendees of your event bring their own, you do not need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.


Is there anywhere to eat nearby?

There are a number of pubs, hotels and restaurants that serve food nearby in Ironbridge and Leighton, including:

The Mill at Leighton

The Water Rat at Ironbridge

The Best Western Valley Hotel in Ironbridge


What is the history of the Hall?

Buildwas Village Hall owes its existence to generous donations and use of a memorial fund collected following both world wars.

The site was sold by the council to the five named Trustees on 16th August 1954 for £192.  The conveyance document sets out the management arrangements.  It is clear that Buildwas Village Hall was constituted as a charity from its outset.  Its aims were to provide

for the purposes of physical and mental training and recreational and social, moral and intellectual development through the medium of reading and recreation rooms, library, lectures, classes, recreations and entertainments or otherwise as might be found expedient…without distinction of sex, political, religious or other opinions”

The initial committee was named as:

John Mills, Parochial Church Council; Charles Brown, British legion; Mrs M Newill, Mother’s Union; Mrs E Wilcox, School Managers and included others co-opted from time-to-time by the Committee up to a maximum of 13.

The first Committee meeting took place in October 1954 and was expected to take place annually in that month, although the Conveyance allows for the Committee to make alternative arrangements as appropriate.

On 15th October 1954, the land was vested in The Official Trustee of Charity Lands by order of the Charity Commission.  The term ‘Official Trustee’ was changed to the ‘Official Custodian’ in 1961.

In 1989 we raised money and applied for grants that were used to repair, replace windows, insulate and re-clad from the original asbestos.  The work was carried out in 1990 and cost approximately £7,000.

In applying for the grant, I was asked to name the Trustees.  On enquiring, it transpired that all of the original Trustees were deceased.  We therefore arranged for the Parish Council to act as Trustees.  It turns out that this was unnecessary and ill-informed.

As I understand it now, there are 2 types of Trustees: Custodian Trustees and Charity Trustees.  The original trustees were Custodian Trustees, in relation to the land, and once the land had been vested in The Official trustee, their role was dissolved.

The Charity Trustees are the Management Committee and our role is to ensure that the charity is managed efficiently and meets its stated aims (as above).

When charity land is vested in The Official Custodian, the Deeds are usually kept by the Management Committee which retains all duties and responsibilities for maintenance, etc.  If the need to sell the land arises, The Official Custodian must be made a party to any conveyance, transfer, lease or other deed which concerns the disposal of it. The advantages of using the Official Custodian are:

• the charity is saved the expense of making the new deeds required when its holding trustees change

• there is no risk that the charity land will remain vested in people who are no longer involved with the charity and who may be difficult to trace.

Peter Little, 26th April 2018